Big Agnes Commits to 100% Renewable Energy for US Facilities
Brand partners with facilities power providers in Colorado and Utah
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (June 29, 2021) – Big Agnes, the Steamboat-Springs-based outdoor equipment brand, is proud to announce that it has committed to using 100-percent renewable energy to power each of its three US facilities. For its company headquarters, the brand has partnered with the City of Steamboat Springs to purchase renewable energy from its local utility provider, Yampa Valley Electric Association, through its Green Choice Program.
“We pride ourselves at Big Agnes for walking the walk when it comes to sustainability and conservation,” said Bill Gamber, co-founder and president of Big Agnes. “This latest transition to fully renewable energy offset programs is another modest step in the right direction as we work toward reducing our global impacts.”
The award-winning camping equipment brand currently leases its 6500 square-foot headquarters from the City of Steamboat Springs. Through the partnership, Big Agnes and the city will jointly purchase 100-percent renewable energy from Yampa Valley Electric Association (YVEA) through its Green Choice Program. YVEA currently provides 32 percent renewable energy, but the Green Choice Program provides customers a way to offset the remaining 68 percent by purchasing renewable energy certificates.
“We’re delighted that Big Agnes has utilized YVEA’s Green Choice Program to make its facilities powered by 100-percent renewable energy,” said Michelle Stewart, Executive Director of Yampa Valley Sustainability Council. “We all need to do our part to reduce emissions and we’re proud that Big Agnes is stepping forward to lead by example and demonstrate how they are operationalizing their commitment to conservation.”
Big Agnes has offset 100 percent of the energy used at its Steamboat Springs warranty and repair center since it first opened as a fulfillment center in 2006. The City of Steamboat Springs currently has two other buildings operating under the Green Choice Power Program. The company’s US distribution center located in South Salt Lake City, UT recently transitioned to renewable energy as well by committing to Rocky Mountain Power’s Green-e Energy Certified Blue Sky program.
“Big Agnes continues to be a powerful partner for Steamboat Springs,” said Deputy City Manager Tom Leeson. “Along with being a strong economic driver, they continue to be a leader in conservation efforts within the city, and this latest move is a testament to their commitment.”
About Big Agnes: Named for a peak in the nearby Mt. Zirkel Wilderness, Big Agnes®, Inc. is located in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, and celebrates its 20th Anniversary in 2021. The company produces award-winning sleeping bags, pads, tents, insulated apparel and camp furniture. For more information, visit www.bigagnes.com or call 1-877-554-8975.
About City of Steamboat Springs, Colorado: Founded in 1900, Steamboat Springs is a thriving, authentic city with its roots deeply planted in the American West. At 6,700’ in the Rocky Mountains, this northwest Colorado community is home to abundant year-round recreation, a historic downtown, a vibrant business sector, active arts and culture, unique special events, celebrated natural mineral springs, outstanding educational opportunities, free public transit bus system and an 80-year Olympian tradition. All with the free-flowing Yampa River running right through the heart of it all.
About Yampa Valley Electric Association: Founded in 1940, the Yampa Valley Electric Association is a consumer-owned electric cooperative that serves more than 26,300 customers over 2,840 miles of line. The cooperative’s 7,000 square mile service territory includes the communities of Baggs and Savery, Wyoming; Craig, Hayden, Steamboat Springs, and Yampa, Colorado; and surrounds, but does not include, the town of Oak Creek, Colorado. See www.yvea.com/ for more details.
About Yampa Valley Sustainability Council (YVSC): YVSC is a nonprofit organization serving Routt and Moffat Counties that creates and promotes sustainable practices in the Yampa Valley region through programs, partnerships and education. Since its establishment in 2009, its mission has remained the same: to serve as a resource and catalyst for building a sustainable community in the Yampa Valley region. Guided by research and in the service of the community, YVSC develops and promotes actions that sustain the valley’s rich natural and cultural heritage and foster resilience moving forward. YVSC priority areas span Energy, Transportation, Waste, Resilient Land and Water and Climate Action and community engagement and collaboration are core to their work.
For more information, contact:
Calvin Bond, Backbone Media